Lerryn History Society outing to Pentillie Castle

Saturday 4th August 2018

Lerryn History Society outing to Pentillie Castle

On what was predicted to be the hottest day of the year,  the LAMA bus set off from Lerryn with a group of Lerryn History Society members and friends to visit the Pentillie Estate, St Mellion.  We were greeted by the owner, Ted Coryton, and shown around the grounds by him and his wife, Sarah.

They inherited the estate 11 years ago and together with their three children have turned the Castle into an award winning, 5 star B&B and have reclaimed the grounds. The grounds are at their glorious best in the Spring and every year, there is an Open Day in May in aid of a Charity.  As we walked through the woodland, making our way to the mausoleum, we looked down on the huge walled garden.  The walls and greenhouse have now been restored and it is being used partly as allotments and partly by rehabilitating service men.

The mausoleum was built on the orders of Sir James Tillie, the first owner of Pentillie who built the Castle in 1698.  He ordered that on his death he was to be placed in the mausoleum, dressed in his best clothes and sittign on a chair. He intended to sit there until his resurrection, which he expected to be within two years and then intended to return to Pentillie.   He sat there for a full two years while his remains and the roof of the mausoleum deteriorated.  His mortal remains were finally buried but it was not know whether at the mausoleum or the nearby churchyard at St Mellion.  A marble statue was erected in his place and remains in the same commanding spot today.  During the restoration of the mausoleum in 2012 a vault was uncovered and unbelievably the remains of Sir James Tillie found.

        

On returning to the Castle we took tea on the Terrace, looking down at the Repton designed landscape.  Our very enjoyable visit was coming to an end but before leaving we drove down to what is now called the Boathouse, but was originally a school room, built in 1856, sat on the edge of the River Tamar looking across to Devon; a truly idyllic spot.  It is used as an idyllic location for wedding ceremonies.

 

 

 

 

 

Pentillie Castle is the main location of the Sky Series "Delicious" starring Dawn French and Emilia Fox.  We knew that on the following Monday, filming of series 3 would start.  What we did not expect when we arrived at the Boathouse, was to meet the film crew.  We were able to step inside the building and it was most interesting to see how it had been transformed into a film set (bedroom, lounge and bathroom).  We all loved the bathbtub framed by the window overlooking the river Tamar.

For more information about Lerryn History Society or to join please go to www.lerrynhistory.co.uk .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Share this page