The Red Store
Contact the Booking Secretary, Sue Daw, 01208 873634
Bear in mind that the Red Store is difficult to reach without boots when the height of the tide is above 5.0 metres. The highest (Spring) tides occur in the evening (6-8 pm in summer, 5-7 pm in winter). Consult a tide table or the Booking Secretary. Mornings and afternoons are safe.
Boats carrying visitors often come up the river from Fowey on the summer Springs and moor at the quay beside the Store.
The Red Store was built about 1870 although a band of stone around the base differs in quality from that above suggesting that the present building stands on the remains of a much earlier structure. The store is one of the few remaining examples of the many riverside warehouses that existed by the Fowey River and its tributaries. They were important for the local economy when few goods were imported or exported by road.
Since the decline of the water-borne trade, the Red Store has had a variety of uses, The owners of Lerryn Mill used the building as office and workshop space in the early 20th C, newsprint was stored here for recycling during the war and for a time in the 1950s the upper floor was used by the village youth club. More recently it contained the family possessions of its owner, Mrs W Elin of Wood Cottage.
For many years the Parish Council had recognised the potential of the building for community use and, realising that conversion to a dwelling would probably change it beyond recognition, set about trying to persuade the building's owners to sell it to the council. In 2002 the owners agents indicated that, not only was the sale of the building possible, but also that it could be at a very reasonable price and that time could be allowed for the funds to be raised.
1914 1930s. Trading ship moored at the Red Store quay.
(Couch's Store/The Boathouse and Black Store on right)
The Parish Councils of St Veep and St Winnow combined forces to set about raising the money for the purchase, conversion and restoration of the building, having staged a consultation event to gauge public support for the project. A grant of £2000 from Caradon D.C. covered the initial survey, plans and applications for planning permission.
Applications were made to the Heritage Lottery Fund, Objective 1, RDA, and Caradon DC for funding. Architects were appointed and the building cleared for a full survey which included a Bat and Owl report. It was found that a rare Lesser Horseshoe male bat was in residence. An application to disturb the bat was eventually approved by the District Council, English Nature and Deffra.
Work commenced on the building in November 2005 and was completed in August 2006, 5 months behind schedule but under budget. Significant parts of the building are now dedicated to several species of bat and other creatures.
The project team in 2004: 2002
Esthermary Todd, Barry & Judith Campbell-Taylor
Eric Baker, George Mansell, Ken Hoskin.
November 2005 February 2006
Home | About Lerryn.net | Village News | Calendar of Events | Community Groups | Useful Numbers | Lerryn Photo Gallery | Photo Archive | Local Services | Useful Links | Contact Us | St Veep P.C. | Lerryn Minibus | Lerryn WI | Church of England | Memorial Hall | The Red Store
Copyright © 2008 Lerryn Area Community Website